History of Alltshellach Cottages
The story of Alltshellach Cottages begins in the mid to late 19th century, when they housed the groomsman and servants for the Bishop of Argyll, whose residence was Alltshellach Country House opposite the cottages.
The Old Coach House and The Old Stables are part of a trio of courtyard cottages that formerly housed the groomsman, horses and coaches. The large feature windows at the front of The Old Coach House stand in place of the carriage entrance, and the supporting columns in the living area of both properties are original features.
The cottages are built from Kentallen granite under Ballachulish slate roofs.
Slate quarrying was a way of life in Ballachulish for over 300 years from the late 17th Century to its heyday during the 1800s through to the final closure in 1955. Slate from the East Laroch quarries, established just two years after the infamous Glencoe Massacre of 1692, was used to provide the roofing slate for much of Edinburgh and Glasgow's skyline in the succeeding centuries.
The cottages fell into disrepair during the second half of the 20th century, and by 2006 had been earmarked for demolition to make way for modern housing. However, Jeffrey Applegate, a local resident, purchased the three plots and spent four years painstakingly renovating each. We thank Jeffrey for his legacy to North Ballachulish.
The Alltshellach Country House opposite is now a hotel specialising in hill walking holidays.
Pictured on the right are historical scenes from Ballachulish.